Seriously, I'm very very amused right now. I just got off the phone with the photographer who's going to shoot me for the profile Simmons is doing on me and apparently, my profile is a very important one. You wanna know why? It's cause i'm Brown. HAHAHA. He didnt quite say it in those words BUT he did say something to the effect of, "i know you have a special connection with spanish literature because of your heritage." ...about as special as my connection to english literature, and border lit, and american lit, etc etc.
Ooh. how amusing. He then proceeded to ask me if i knew an area on campus that could highlight or serve as a great backdrop for my shoot. Because, yknow, I'm brown and I wear a sign that says so and i know of the best brown spots to hang out and display my brownness. When I said I had no clue he asked if there was someone in the city that would work. First thing that pops into my head is...Cambridge? i like cambridge a whole lot. BUt that's not very latin is it? when that didn't pan out, the guy was like, "well, I have a sister in law who is from madrid and she's such a vibrant woman...wears bright colors and..she's definitely her own person. do you think you could..?" "I'm not spanish. I'm of mexican descent." "oh well, yes yes, then..do you have anything traditionally mexican to..wear?" "well, Yeah, I do actually." "perfect! What color is it? do you wear something in your hair or on your head?" "NO!" haha..this is going to be quite funny.
i'm not sure if I should feel used, amused or offended. Maybe all three.
Tuesday, May 01, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Oh my gosh, that is crazy! What did you finally end up wearing?
And were you able to recover your lost papers?
I went with my bright blue huipil. I felt very awkward my ride into the city, like I was being transformed into a characterture of what a Mexican should look and act like. But then I realised that i wear the huipil as a shirt often and that it's not too out of the ordinary. The shoot ended up being kind of fun and I still know exactly why I was chosen..so i don't feel too bad.
As for the papers...no! needless to say, the first half of the week was very very bad. And i was more than happy to see thursday come around. :)
Thanks for stopping by!
Post a Comment